In recognition of our dedicated work with the communities since 2007 for not only empowering girls but also improving sex ratio through our “Meri Shakti Meri Beti programme, we were chosen as the nodal agency by the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Government of India, when the programme was launched nationally in January 2015.
As the nodal agency for the BetiBachaoBetiPadhao, Centre for Social Research (CSR) is working with 5 districts of Haryana in addressing the harmful practices of prenatal sex selection and abortion of female foetuses.
Our efforts have yielded results as noted down by the data provided by District Head Quarters, Department of Women & Child Health, is evidenced in the latest report-glimpse below.
But we are not resting on our laurels! We continue to work relentlessly with communities and in Q3 2019, we have organized a Pachayati Raj Institution(PRI) Training for Sarpanches and panch members from 22 Lowest Sex Ratio Villages at Panchayat Bhawan, Ambala. This training was held on 21st August, 2019.At the eventMr. Rajvir Singh, District Development and Panchayat Officer (DDPO), Mrs. Baljeet Kaur District Program Officer(DPO), Ms. Mamta; District Child Protection Officer, Dr. Pawan; from the PC/PNDT team,Ms. Divya Joshi and Ms. Veena Dhal,members of local NGOs also joined us to grace the occasion and address the village representatives about the importance of grass root level maintenance of birth records through Guddi-Gudda Boards at village Chaupals and engaging men in the discussion.
We have followed a multi-pronged approach in building capacities of various stakeholders to address the practice of sex-selection at the local level by focusing on
- Building community awareness and engagement for behavioral change related to gender issues,
- Engaging local government and strengthening its response on the issue,
- Mobilising institutional response among educational institutions, civil societies, and other local organisations.
- Establishment Community Watch Groups (CWG): 4 Community Watch Groups have been formed in each district with the lowest sex ratio so far.
- Expert Group Meetings: After the initial rapport building exercise and collection of sex ratio data from these 5 districts, Expert Group Meetings were conducted in Kurukshetra with CMO, PC/PNDT nodal Officer and other 40 medical fraternity representatives.
- NGO Networking: CSR also collaborated with 17 local NGO partners in all the 5 districts.
- Panchayati Raj Institution (PRI) Training: Successfully, concluded three PRI Training programmes for Gurugram, Ambala, Kurukshetra and Mahendragarh. We targeted the low sex ratio villages identified by the District Appropriate Authorities (DAA).
- Youth Mobilisation: We have mobilized Youth by partnering with Educational Institutions in Mahendragarh and Gurugram. Our cultural activities and mobilization events have received widespread media coverage.